Monday, March 27, 2006

Beach, Shmeech

Skyler Bartels decided to go to Wal-Mart over spring break.

All of spring break.

No cruise, no Bahamas, no ski trip, not for Bartels. He had his eye on the discount superstore.

He was wondering if he could survive the full length of spring break living in this gymnasium of a retailer.

"That was the goal," he said. "To buy everything I needed at Wal-Mart."

What he found out (big sursprise) was that Wal-Mart doesn't have showers or beds, and suffering insomnia and paranoia, Bartels gave up after 41 hours.

I think I could have made it. Consider:

- He had funding from papa.
- There are ways to catch 40 winks when you need 'em.
- You could wash semi-adequately in the bathroom sinks.
- Most importantly, living in Wal-Mart is a better deal than alot of people have. There are plenty of places which lack showers and beds, but you can't get a latte there, either.

However, would I want to live there? No. I don't see the point, and I like sunlight.

In fact, the point of this whole project still eludes me. I guess it could work for a fun documentary, considering some of the people Bartels reports meeting.

Especially the nun. Every documentary should have a chubby nun. She could sing whenever the whole thing was over.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home